23 October 2011

MaXhosa by Laduma at the Red Location Museum

I am in Port Elizabeth at the moment enjoying a lovely long weekend of resting and visiting friends. I took the opportunity to meet up with Laduma Ngxokolo, whom I first met at the Design Indaba earlier this year, to take some photos of his knitwear. He suggested the Red Museum in New Brighton for the photo's and the architecture and colours just work beautifully with his garments.


Please tell us about yourself and your inspiration for MaXhosa knitwear.


I was born and raised in Port Elizabeth and come from a family of creatives. During the early years of my life I breast fed from my mother's skill for knitwear design and her pride for Xhosa heritage. I studied Textile design and completed a Btech at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in 2010 where I established my Xhosa-inspired knitwear project. 
Basically MaXhosa by Laduma knitwear is a collection that I initially targeted for Xhosa initiates in the Eastern Cape to substitute the western kniwear they wear for their post initiation process. Consequently this collection attracted attention outside of the initial target market and that has been an epic story story I will never forget. 

Which South African designers and/or artists inspire you?


I love Renee Rossouw's textile design work, Missibaba's shoes and I also like the ambiance that Craig Native attaches to his  work. I admire Andile Dyalvane's ceramics. 
   
What music would we find on your playlist?

I mostly listen to hip-hop music and I'm also a great fan of jazz music. My favourite musicians are: Kanye West, Hugh Masekela, Rick  Ross, J cole, Stompie Mavie, Bongeziwe Mabandla etcetera.


What are you working on at the moment?


I'm working on my women's knitwear collection for next year and I'm really excited about launching that.















































1 comment:

Jesse said...

Great to see more of his work, and very exciting news that he's working on a women's collection!

Post a Comment